Homemade Shea Butter Recipes
Great for babies or sensitive skin. The combination of Shea and cocoa butter makes a highly moisturizing combination. Whipping the mix helps it go on smoothly without feeling oily.
- 1/2 cup Shea Butter
- 1/2 cup Wild Cocoa Butter
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Light Oil (like almond, jojoba or olive)
- Optional: 10-30 drops of choice essential oils
- In a double boiler or glass bowl, combine everything but essential oils.
- Heat on medium-low and keeping stirring until all ingredients are melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Move to fridge and let cool 45-60 minutes or until mixture slightly hardens yet remains soft.
- Using a hand mixer, whip for 10 minutes until fluffy.
- Return to fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid and use as you would regular lotion or body butter.
- If room temperature stays above 75 degrees, it may soften and may need to be kept in the fridge. It should keep its consistency at room temperatures below 75 degrees.
Whipped Shea Butter Cream
- 4 oz. Shea Butter
- 2 tbsp. base oil - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Wild MCT Oil, or other preferred carrier oil
- Optional: 10-20 drops essential oil(s)
- Mixing bowl
- Electric whisks/mixer
- 8 oz Mason Jar and lid
- Before you start, make sure your unrefined shea butter is at room temperature. Do not melt or heat it. Put your shea butter in a bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add base oil(s) and mash it a little bit more.
- Put the mixture into the mixing bowl and mix on high with electric mixer for 5 minutes.
- Put whipped shea cream in a clean jar(s) and keep in a dry, dark and cool place at room temperature.
Moisturizing Body Scrub
- 1/2 cup Shea Butter
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil (melted but not hot) or Wild MCT Oil
- 1/2 cup of choice Brown Sugar, Sea Salt, Coffee grounds
- Pack 1/2 measuring cup with Wild Shea Butter.
- Heat using the double boiler method until a bit softer. Don't melt completely.
- Beat with electric mixer until whipped. Usually takes 2-3 minutes.
- Combine olive oil and coconut oil/Wild MCT Oil in jar and cover and shake to combine.
- As you continue to beat the mixture, slowly pour in the oil mix until combined.
- Once oil and Shea is combined, beat another minute. If desired, add any essential oils and beat another minute to combine.
- If you stop here, this is a ready to use moisturizer. To make a body scrub, continue to the next step.
- Add desired exfoliate ingredient and work in to mix gently until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container and use to exfoliate your face and skin.
Calendula And Lavender Butter Balm
A soothing and healing balm. Rub into sore muscles or apply to minor cuts, scrapes, insect bites, rashes, chapped skin, and other skin irritations.
- 3 oz Calendula herbal oil
- 1 oz Shea Butter
- 1/2 oz Beeswax
- 20 drops organic Lavender essential oil
- Melt Beeswax, Shea Butter, and Calendula oil over a double boiler until melted.
- Once melted, remove from burner and mix in the Lavender oil.
- Quickly pour into glass jars and allow to cool thoroughly before using and covering with lid.